Chemical peels are one of the oldest cosmetic treatments performed and can be dated back to Egyptian times, when the natural acids derived from fruit and milk were applied to the skin in the name of beauty. Nowadays, chemical facial peels are widely accepted as a safe and efficient way of refreshing the skin and slowing down many of the visible signs of ageing.
Scientists have identified numerous forms of acid which can be used to induce beneficial changes for our skin, including salicylic acid, trichloroacetic acid (TCA) and phenol. Chemical peeling involves the application of a chemical solution to the surface of the skin to encourage careful exfoliation, the deposition of collagen and an improvement in the clinical and aesthetic appearance of the skin. The amount of skin removed will depend on the type of chemical used, the strength of the product (superficial, medium depth and deep) and how long it is left on the skin.
What can be treated?
- Dull, tired looking skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Dark spots & hyper pigmentation
- Oily or dry skin conditions
- Mild to moderate acne
- Acne scaring
At Jomae we use NeoStrata ProSystem Peels. These contain glycolic, mandelic and citric acids with different options of strength. These are superficial peels which are encourage the gentle removal of the microscopic top layer of damaged surface cells; this reveals fresh cells that are smoother and brighter. The treatment also stimulates cell turnover and encourages collagen and elastin production in the deeper layers that plump the skin. The following are the types of improvements that can be expected with the Neostrata ProSystem Peel:
- Diminished appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Evening of skin tone and lightened discolorations
- Diminished appearance of pore size
- Improved skin tone and texture
- Reduced appearance of blemishes in acne prone skin
- Visual softening of shallow acne scars
- An all important increased skin glow or radiance
What does a chemical peel treatment involve?
Prior to your first peel appointment a full consultation will take place to determine suitability and you will be given home care products to prepare your skin for two weeks prior to your first peel appointment. At your first peel appointment:
- Any make up will be removed
- The skin will be clinically cleaned
- Your eyes will be protected and covered with eye pads
- The peel solution/s will be applied for the desired amount of time
- A neutralising solution will be applied to the face
- All peel and neutralising solution will be removed and cold wet gauze applied to the face for several minutes
- Post procedure products and SPF will be applied
- Post procedure care will be discussed and written advice given to take away
How long does the peel procedure take?
- A single peel appointment will last approximately 30 minutes.
How long will the results last?
- The effects can be ongoing; if the right products are being applied between treatments you will have a long lasting effective treatments.
What is the price of a NeoStrata ProSystem Chemical Peel?
- A single peel costs £70. Significantly better results are achieved when a course of peels are undertaken over a period of time and this tends to be more cost effective in the long run.
When used correctly, chemical peels are a brilliant way of boosting the results of your skincare regimen. Depending on the type and strength of the peel chosen, the results can vary, so it’s important to get the right advice for your specific skin conditions. And although today’s chemical facial peel is a safe and effective way to renew the skin, you should still approach this treatment with the same level of caution as other cosmetic procedures such as Botox or Dermal Fillers.