As we age, the body's natural production of supporting skin cells, fibroblasts, collagen and elastin naturally diminish, leading to wrinkles and skin sagging. Dermal needling involves creating thousands of microscopic puncture channels in the skin which then stimulates a natural wound healing response. This natural response results in growth factors being released which stimulate, restructure and promote the development of new collagen and elastic. The results are not immediate but over the following weeks and months clients can expect renewal, repair and rejuvenation of their skin, particularly when combined with a good skin care regime.
Dermal needling is also commonly known as mircro-needling, dry needling, percutaneous collagen induction (PCI) and collagen induction therapy (CIT). It may be performed with hand-held roller type devices or electronic devices. The electronic devices allow a faster and provide a less painful treatment. The Dermapen is one such device. It uses medical grade disposable needles and allows practitioners with the appropriate skills and knowledge to adjust the needle depth and speed, enabling the treatment of hard-to-reach areas (e.g. around the eyes, nose and lips). A Dermapen treatment can produce similar results to fractional or resurfacing laser treatments but without the side effects, downtime and costs. A Dermapen treatment is perfect for someone who is seeking to enhance the quality of their skin, or a rejuvenation treatment but is maybe not ready or keen to explore injectable treatments. Good results have been seen when seen when treating the following kind of issues:
- Dull looking skin
- Fine lines
- Surgical and trauma or self harm related scars
- Acne scarring
- Stretch marks
- Pigmentation issues
What happens before, during and after a dermal needling procedure?
- A full history is taken to determine suitability for the procedure
- Any make up is removed
- Numbing cream is applied to the area to be treated for approximately 20 - 30 minutes
- The area is clinically cleaned and a serum is applied to the skin
- The Dermapen is passed over the skin in several directions
- A cooling mask is applied, followed by the application of topical products and SPF
- Depending on the condition being treated the procedure takes 15 - 45 minutes
- You can expect to look as if you have mild to moderate sunburn for the first 12-24hrs
- Your skin may feel warmer and tighter than usual.
- You will be provided with verbal and written post care instructions, including the use of SPF
Dermal needling is well tolerated by clients but some dryness, scaling, itching and redness may be seen for a couple of days post procedure.The number of needling sessions required depends on the individual skin condition. In the case of wrinkles associated with ageing skin, up to 3 sessions may be required. Improvement in acne scaring and stretch mark reduction may take up to 5 sessions. Sessions are spaced at 4-6 week intervals.
Before and After Gallery
Before and after a course of Dermapen treatments and skin care products