The lips are a focal point of the face, meaning that many consider their size and shape to be important. Ageing affects the lips just as with any other part of the body and so loss of volume and the appearance of fine lines around the mouth area are two issues that we often get asked about.
The use of dermal fillers in the lips can help to restore the natural fullness of the lip which is often lost with ageing, as well as giving fuller lips to someone who is maybe younger but wishes to add more shape, structure or volume to their lips. At Jomae Aesthetics we only use lip fillers made from hyaluronic acid (HA) which is a gel like substance that is found naturally in the body and skin. We do not inject collagen, saline, fat or anything else into lips. HA lip filler treatments start from £150.
The effects of lip fillers will last approximately 6-9 months. There are many types of HA fillers on the market, such as Belotero, Juvederm, Restaylane, Teoysal; all of which are widely recognised as being safe and predictable. This does not mean that there are no side effects: often there is a degree of swelling for several days and there is always the possibility that bruising may occur. At present we predominately use the Belotero range due to the excellent safety profile and the way in which it safely integrates into the tissue.
For further information see our Dermal Fillers page.
What happens before, during and after a lip filler treatment?
- A full consultation is undertaken to understand your needs and expectations
- A medical history is undertaken as part of the consultation to determine suitability for treatment
- Any make up is removed and the area is cleaned
- A numbing cream is applied for up to 30 minutes (the fillers also contain a local anaesthetic)
- The areas is clinically cleaned so that the injection of HA can begin
- A number of injections will be performed depending on the desired outcome
- After the injections a cooling device may be applied
- You will be given verbal and written instructions on your post procedure care
- This will include avoiding touching your lips with unclean hands for 6 hours, avoiding lipstick/make-up for 12hrs and avoiding any exposure to intense heat (sauna, sunbeds, etc.) for two weeks.
Before and after lip filler treatment with Belotero